Skip to main content
Registration FAQs

​Registration FAQs

Click a question to display the answer.

How do I enroll my child in Albemarle County Public Schools?

Students must meet certain admission requirements in order to enroll in Albemarle County Public Schools.  Primarily, a student must meet age and residency requirements.

View Admission Requirements

Registration is conducted at the home school; that is, the school serving the child's attendance area. Attendance areas are assigned based on current physical addresses (not post office boxes) of the primary residence.

View Attendance Area Information

Albemarle County Public Schools utilizes an online registration tool to gather the majority of student information required for registration. ACPS recommends that the online registration form be completed prior to visiting your student’s school to present required documentation.

Online Registration Forms

At the time of registration, the parent or legal guardian (proof of guardianship required) must submit required documentation that includes, at a minimum, the child's birth certificate and two (2) proofs of residency in Albemarle County.

Learn More About Required Documents

Note: For assistance registering a child who was not born in the United States or speaks a language other than English, or if the documents needed for school registration were issued in a foreign country, contact the International and ESOL Office at 434-296-6517.

How old must a child be to enroll in kindergarten?

A child must be 5 years old on or before September 30 of the school year when they intend to enroll in kindergarten. This is Virginia state law. Find out more about Kindergarten Registration.

Can a parent postpone kindergarten registration?

Yes, any child who has not reached his/her 6th birthday on or before September 30 may be exempted from school attendance until the following year if the parent feels the child is not mentally, physically or emotionally prepared to attend school. In this case, the parent must notify the School Board of the decision to postpone enrollment.

We are moving into a new home and our new street address has not yet been assigned. What can I provide the school in place of a street address?

If a street address is not available or has not yet been assigned to the residence (such as with a new home), the parent/guardian must contact the Albemarle County Community Development Office at 434-296-5832 to have his/her address verified on official county letterhead.

What do we do if we cannot provide some of the required documentation?

If you are unable to produce any of the required documents listed on the Required Documentation page, please contact the school where your child will be registering for information about alternative documents that can be provided in lieu of those documents.

If we move during the school year to another attendance area, can my child remain at his or her current school?

In order for a student to remain at his or her current school following a move to another attendance area, the parent/guardian must write a letter requesting permission to:

Nick King
Director of Student Services​
Albemarle County Public Schools
401 McIntire Road, Room 333
Charlottesville, VA 22902

A decision will be made using School Board Policy JC, School Attendance Areas, as a guide. For more information, contact Strategic Planning & Operations at 434-296-5877.

My child will be transferring from another school or division. Will you need my child's records/transcripts?

School records/original transcripts from the prior school are needed for transfer students. If a child is a secondary student (grades 6-12) and has not attended school recently, the parent/guardian should provide documentation to account for the period of non-school attendance (for example, proof of home schooling).

Is a physical required of transfer students?

If transferring from another school or school division, a copy of the student's physical examination form must be in the previous school's records and available upon request. Students entering secondary schools (grades 6-12) are not required to furnish a physical examination form, although this report is often beneficial.

Besides a doctor's office, where can my child be immunized?

Routine immunizations for children are available at the Charlottesville/Albemarle Health Department. Parents should call ahead for clinic hours and rate fees: 434-972-6200 (press ‘4’ for Clinic and Health Services).

Can my child be excused from the required immunizations?

No certificate of immunization shall be required for the admission to school of any student if (1) the student or his/her parent submits an affidavit to the admitting official stating that the administration of immunizing agents conflicts with the student's religious tenets or practices; or (2) the school has written certification from a licensed physician or a local health department that one or more of the required immunizations may be detrimental to the student's health, indicating the specific nature and probable duration of the medical condition or circumstance that contraindicates immunization.

I am a doctor. May I sign my child's Student Entrance Health Form?

So long as the parent is currently licensed to practice medicine in the United States, he or she can sign the form.

I am trying to register my previously home schooled child in elementary school. Does my child need a physical before attending Albemarle County Public Schools?

Yes, prior to being admitted for the first time to any public kindergarten or elementary school in a school division, a student must provide a copy of a comprehensive physical examination form (Student Entrance Health Form) from a qualified licensed physician or licensed nurse practitioner, performed no earlier than 12 months prior to the date the student first enters kindergarten or elementary school.

How can a parent home school his or her child(ren)?

The State of Virginia allows parents to provide home schooling for their children provided they meet certain state guidelines. A parent wishing to home school his or her child(ren) must submit a Notice of Intent to Provide Home Instruction. This form is accessible through the Albemarle County Public Schools Home Schooling page and must be submitted to: 

Ms. Ashby Kindler
Department of Student Learning
Albemarle County Public Schools
401 McIntire Road, Room 333
Charlottesville, VA 22902

The parent will be notified of the decision to approve or deny the request via letter. The school serving the student's attendance area will also receive a copy of this letter.

What should I do if my name or contact information changes?

If there are any changes to your name, address or phone number(s), please contact your child's school so that his/her records may be updated to reflect your new information.

Where can I get information about after-school programs, transportation, school lunches, and other programs?

Please visit our Additional Registration Information page for links to information about programs that Albemarle County Public Schools has to support student learning.

Who should I contact about ... ?

Admission of Homeless Children
Sharon Root, Adult, Migrant & Homeless Education / 434-296-3872
Attendance Areas
Department of Transportation / 434-973-5716
Enrollment Requirements
Anne Breeden, Strategic Planning & Operations / 434-296-5877
Home Schooling
Carolyn Herget, Department of Instruction / 434-296-5820
Anne Breeden, Strategic Planning & Operations / 434-296-5877
Proof of Residency
Anne Breeden, Strategic Planning & Operations / 434-296-5877
Registration Assistance for a Child Who Was Not Born in the U.S. or Speaks a Language Other than English
International & ESOL Program / 434-296-6517
Anne Breeden, Strategic Planning & Operations / 434-296-5877

Get Acrobat PDF Reader You may need the free Acrobat Reader to access information presented in PDF format.