Reflections is a ten day summer day program for rising seventh, eighth, and ninth graders who are gifted in the visual arts. It is administered by Charlottesville City Schools and includes students from Albemarle, Charlottesville, Nelson, and Greene. Based on size, each school division is allocated a specified number of participants. Albemarle County may select 12 students for the program each year.
The application includes components weighted as follows:
- 70% - Portfolio of four (4) specified works
- 20% - Teacher recommendation (from one teacher)
- 10% - Student application
The division uses the following process to select the nominees:
Middle schools solicit nominees from teachers, parents, and students in January/February.
- All interested nominees complete the application and portfolio.
- Each middle school may submit up to 6 nominees for division consideration.
- The division selection committee, comprised of art teachers, rates each application and portfolio based on the specified criteria.
- The selection committee forwards the applications of the top-ranking 12 students and three alternates to the Reflections program director in late March.
Please visit the Reflections program home page.